MNOG Infected Kohlii ball/Turaga Onewa bug

Discussion of BIONICLE Games, both online and retail.

Moderators: JrMasterModelBuilder, Sir Guurahk The Third, Bon

MNOG Infected Kohlii ball/Turaga Onewa bug

Postby bithainium » Mon May 04, 2015 10:18 pm

Recently I’ve encountered a glitch while attempting to play through the Mata Nui Online game (the Login, auto-save version). After encountering the same problem in the No login version, having checked the forums and seen that this has been encountered before (in the main Mata Nui Online game thread) and having not found any solution to the problem I thought it best to create a thread. Since it appears that the last time this problem appeared (around a year ago) problem just disappeared suddenly (possibly due to a flash player update) it may have suddenly reappeared as well (also possibly due to a flash player update). Since I couldn’t find a solution to the problem besides reloading the page, and entering again which just seems to cause the issue again, if anyone else has found a fix to this it would be useful to know. An overview of the glitch is below:

Bug: The game freezes up when the Infected kolhii ball is given to Onewa.

Game version: MNOG Online Login Save, MNOG No Login (no save)
(I was unable to test the offline version because my anti-virus blocked it)

Software:
Flash player: Adobe Shockwave Flash version 17.0.0.169 (latest)
Web browser: Mozzila firefox version 37.0.2 (latest, I think)
(Further information about software and hardware can be provided if required)

Steps to replicate:
No Login (no save) version: Start a new game in Po-koro (chapter 4) proceed down the road to Po-koro (take the left turning, then the right one). Proceed through the town to the kolhii field. Obtain the Infected Kolhii ball by talking to the matoran playing there then leaving and returning (or just rotate twice) and pick up the ball. Take the ball to Turaga Onewa (in the building to the left when you enter the town). Talk to him and give him the ball at any point during the conversation.
Online Login Save version: Same method except for the requirement to get to Po-koro first and therefore to save Ga-koro first. However, once you have achieved this the auto-save will allow you to test repeatedly without having to restart the level.

Expected outcome: Turaga Onewa should take the Kolhii ball and request that you investigate the issue further.

Actual outcome: Upon giving the Kolhii ball to the turaga, an empty dialog box appears and the game freezes. This happens regardless of when in the conversation the Infected ball is given to Onewa. Since the empty dialog box cannot be exited, the conversation cannot be ended and you need to exit the game or refresh the page. While the game is frozen, Onewa will continue his current animation indefinitely, so if he was given the Kolhii ball before he finished his previous sentence he will continue his talking animation forever.

Before giving Turaga Onewa the Infected Kolhii ball:

After giving Turaga Onewa the Infected Kolhii ball:

Expected outcome:

Regardless of this issue, I'm thankful that this game is still available to play so many years after it's release. I understand that maintaining and supporting decade old software must be a difficult and thankless task and am grateful for your efforts. I wish you the best of luck maintaining this as well as the other games hosted here.

Edits: Formatted and fixed image links.
bithainium
Matoran
Matoran

Re: MNOG Infected Kohlii ball/Turaga Onewa bug

Postby JrMasterModelBuilder » Tue May 05, 2015 5:55 am

I think this is the most detailed bug report we've ever gotten! Thanks for that!

Although I have had this issue in the past, I've just checked using Firefox 37.0.2 with Flash Player 17.0.0.169, and I was not able to reproduce the issue in the online save version.

Some suggestions to try to get around it:

- Try dragging the Koli ball over Onewa's mask/head.
- If you aren't already, try giving him the Koli ball without clicking anything but the backpack and Koli ball.
- Try clearing your browser cache.
- Try visiting this URL, then trying again.

If you are still having trouble, what operating system and version are you using (Windows 8/7/Vista. OS X 10.10, 10.9, etc.)?
JrMasterModelBuilder
BioMedia Project Staff
BioMedia Project Staff

Postby bithainium » Tue May 05, 2015 11:58 am

Okay, I tried it again this morning and it worked! I've no idea why this was, nothing has changed since yesterday. I havent updated my browser or my flash player as far as I am aware. I've carried out the steps you recommended just in case the problem reappears, but this seems unlikely as repeated tests on boths versions have shown it to be working every time now. Thank you for your help regardless and sorry for wasting your time on an issue that seems to keep fixing itself!
bithainium
Matoran
Matoran

Postby velgor » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:04 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry to revive an old thread, but I encountered the same problem (also in Firefox), found this thread via google and found a different solution (since the ones described here didn't work).
Try logging in in another browser (e.g. Internet Explorer) and starting the game. That did the trick for me.

Everything else runs great. Thanks for maintaining this game and giving me the opportunity to revive my childhood memories ;)

Best wishes,
Velgor
velgor
Matoran
Matoran

Return to Games