LoMN Remake Project

Discussion of BIONICLE Fansites and the BIONICLE Fan Community.

Moderators: JrMasterModelBuilder, WildNalani, PrismWind

LoMN Remake Project

Postby ShaggyNerd » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:57 pm

This is where I will be posting progress for my remake (well, it's more of a remix than a remake) of the infamous Legend of Mata Nui. So far, I have only jotted down some basic ideas. I've decided that it would be similar graphics-wise. Low-poly models and simple textures, all done in Blender and MS Paint. I'm still learning this whole modeling thing, anyway. Music and sound effects might pose a bit of a problem, as I have no programs to compose music with. There are some nice ones, but they are WAY out of my budget range. Either I can find a decent free one or I will resort to piracy, which I would rather not do unless I have to. As for programming, that will be done in the MonoDevelop package that comes with the Unity game engine, which is where I will be assembling the whole thing.

That's all I have for now. I will begin modeling parts soon.
ShaggyNerd
Toa
Toa

Re: LoMN Remake Project

Postby Fastcar800 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:24 am

Good luck, my friend! This sounds promising :D
Fastcar800
Holder of the Highest Post Count on the BMP Forums

Evanescence fan forever...
Fastcar800
BioMedia Project Staff
BioMedia Project Staff

Postby JrMasterModelBuilder » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:54 am

ShaggyNerd wrote:Low-poly models and simple textures, all done in Blender and MS Paint.

I'd recommend trying out Gimp or Inkscape for raster or vector textures.

Music and sound effects might pose a bit of a problem, as I have no programs to compose music with.

LMMS is the best free MIDI music composing program I know of, it can be very power if you get some good free VST plugins. Garage Band isn't bad also if you have a Mac. As for sound effects, there are a couple of sites out there that have sound effects, though it can be frustrating trying to find something good for free.
JrMasterModelBuilder
BioMedia Project Staff
BioMedia Project Staff

Postby ShaggyNerd » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:50 pm

I have recently begun modeling parts. I started with the torso. I have attached an image showing what I have so far. Once I make more parts (I won't make all of them, as some are unnecessary), I will combine them into a single model that will eventually become Onua. I know that combining meshes is possible, but my question is this: Is it possible to combine multiple texures? I plan on texturing a single part individually and then clone the textured part when need be, so that I don't have to texture a complete model from scratch. So, is it possible?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShaggyNerd
Toa
Toa

Postby JrMasterModelBuilder » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:54 am

ShaggyNerd wrote:I have recently begun modeling parts. I started with the torso. I have attached an image showing what I have so far. Once I make more parts (I won't make all of them, as some are unnecessary), I will combine them into a single model that will eventually become Onua. I know that combining meshes is possible, but my question is this: Is it possible to combine multiple texures? I plan on texturing a single part individually and then clone the textured part when need be, so that I don't have to texture a complete model from scratch. So, is it possible?

I've never used Blender much, I'm a Maya user myself, but it's probably not possible and even if it is, probably isn't a good idea. Each object needs to be UV mapped and combining them would mean they would need to share the same UV map. I also can't think of a very good reason to combine them. I assume you plan to use a rigid rig and not a smooth skin binding. You should be able to just use groups without actually combining the individual meshes.
JrMasterModelBuilder
BioMedia Project Staff
BioMedia Project Staff

Postby ShaggyNerd » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:14 pm

JrMasterModelBuilder wrote:I've never used Blender much, I'm a Maya user myself, but it's probably not possible and even if it is, probably isn't a good idea. Each object needs to be UV mapped and combining them would mean they would need to share the same UV map. I also can't think of a very good reason to combine them. I assume you plan to use a rigid rig and not a smooth skin binding. You should be able to just use groups without actually combining the individual meshes.

But what my concern is this: Will I be able to apply so many different textures to only parts of a whole model? If I export the model in a single file, I know it will combine the meshes, but will it include each part's material and have it applied to ONLY that specific part?

EDIT: Mini-updates attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShaggyNerd
Toa
Toa

Postby hewkii22 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:23 pm

awesome hope you finish it
hewkii22
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JrMasterModelBuilder » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:42 pm

ShaggyNerd wrote:
JrMasterModelBuilder wrote:I've never used Blender much, I'm a Maya user myself, but it's probably not possible and even if it is, probably isn't a good idea. Each object needs to be UV mapped and combining them would mean they would need to share the same UV map. I also can't think of a very good reason to combine them. I assume you plan to use a rigid rig and not a smooth skin binding. You should be able to just use groups without actually combining the individual meshes.

But what my concern is this: Will I be able to apply so many different textures to only parts of a whole model? If I export the model in a single file, I know it will combine the meshes, but will it include each part's material and have it applied to ONLY that specific part?

EDIT: Mini-updates attached.

What format are you exporting to?
JrMasterModelBuilder
BioMedia Project Staff
BioMedia Project Staff

Postby ShaggyNerd » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:42 pm

.FBX.
ShaggyNerd
Toa
Toa

Postby JrMasterModelBuilder » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:24 am

The FBX format should allow you to export multiple meshes within a group. So you could have:

ToaOnua_group>
>Torso_mesh
>Head_mesh
>Arm_R_mesh
>Arm_L_mesh
etc...

Each mesh within that group should also be able to have their own shader applied which could each have their own materials.

If the meshes are combined however, only one shader could be applied to the mesh and then all the different materials would need to be a part of a single UV map (also, creating this UV map would probably be more difficult).
JrMasterModelBuilder
BioMedia Project Staff
BioMedia Project Staff

Next

Return to BIONICLE Websites and Community